Thursday, January 5, 2017

Book Review : Naked Ambition (Naked City #1) by Rick Pullen



Synopsis : 

When newspaper reporter Beck Rikki receives an unsolicited call from a high-ranking government official sending him off to investigate a candidate for President of the United States, he doesn't realize he's stumbled onto the story of a lifetime. 
 
As he digs deeper, he follows trail of murder, bribery, infidelity and deceit that runs from Canada to the Caribbean--but all signs point to the White House. 
 
Beck finds nothing is quite as it appears--not his sources, not his curious new love interest and especially not the story he's pursuing. In the confusion, he suspects the motives of everyone--including his new love. He must figure out the truth or forces quietly waiting in the wings will covertly grab the reins of power and take over the government.
 
For the first time in his career, Beck may have stumbled onto a story too dangerous to handle--but too important to walk away from. And with only days before the election, just when he thinks he's solved the puzzle, he realizes he hasn't.

Review :

At first, I am a little wary to read this story because I have been burned with political thriller before. But it turns out I really love it. Mr Pullen really blow me out with his book. Being investigative reporter himself, I think it make the story more relatable. My only regret is I take my time to finish this book. But it worth it. 

The story focus on investigative reporter named Beck Rikki. He gets information that corrupt politician gonna become vice president. He feels it is his responsibility to investigate and expose it. Unbeknownst to him, there's bigger agenda at play. Besides Rikki, the story also focus on Geneva Kemper, wife of Senator Harvey, Daniel Fahy, director of justice department that prosecuted dirty politicians, and Keith, young investment banker that aspire to become author. Their lives were overlapped one with another. I like all of the characters except maybe senator Harvey. That's not too say he is bad. It just that maybe because I feel "cheated" with him. 

The story is quite unrealistic. But for me, it was more important to read an enjoyable story than realistic one. The author make sure that the story is not black and white. It helps that it doesn't leave bad taste. Of course, it could have been better. It was not heavy. But the pace is quite slow. Besides, there's some actions that I still don't understand why it happen. But it could be my own problem. One little thing, this story remind me of America 2016 President election. I mean scandal and election anyone ?! Anyway, I really recommend this story for people who want to read great political thriller. Cannot wait to read Mr. Pullen other books. 

Rating : 5 of 5


Regards, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment