Friday, February 17, 2017

Book Review : Flash Crash by Denison Hatch




Synopsis :

David Belov, a quant programmer working for an investment bank in New York is blackmailed into writing an algorithm that will intentionally crash the gold market.

David discovers that his virtual "Flash Crash" was simply a required stepping stone towards the largest physical gold robbery in history, and that's he's been framed for the resulting chaos, the lives of his beloved wife and son on the balance...

With Detective Jake Rivett and the NYPD's finest operators from the Major Crimes Division actively seeking to locate and arrest David, and other, darker elements nipping at his heels, David is forced to confront his own past in order to have a future.



Review :

I like the cover and the tittle. Simple and straight forward. To be honest I nearly give this book 3 stars but fortunately the ending save it.

Flash Crash tell story about 2 men named David and Vlad. At the beginning it looks like both of them are friends and have the same fate. Both of them find a lot of fortune and intend to change their life with the money. Unfortunately, there's sinister plan behind it. It looks like nothing is coincidence. At the end, they choose different paths. The story have several bad guys. That's what throw me at first. You think when you know who is the bad guy, then the problem solved. Quite predictable. The truth is there's another bad guy behind all of it. Even after knowing who is the second bad guy, there's still another things surprising you at the end. The subtlety remind me about False Accussations by Alan Jacobson.

Personally I don't really like the characters. They are just ordinary. Nothing interesting. And the addition of "nightmarish" Jake doesn't help either. One thing that I also don't like in this book is there are too many background. Yes, I love characters background, but not too many. After a while, I just skip many of them. One thing that I don't quite understand why it was said Jake Rivett series. Personally I don't agree with it because I don't see Jake Rivett as the main character nor he is charismatic in this story. But I can understand why the author do it. Fortunately, the ending make me change my rating for this book. Hope the next book will be much better. I recommend this story for people who want to read simple and interesting story.

Rating : 3.51 of 5


Regards, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment