Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Film Review : Passengers (2016)





Synopsis : 

Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt star in an exciting action-thriller about two passengers who are on a 120-year journey to another planet when their hibernation pods wake them 90 years too early. Jim and Aurora are forced to unravel the mystery behind the malfunction as the ship teeters on the brink of collapse, with the lives of thousands of passengers in jeopardy. 

Casts : Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen, Laurence Fishburne, Andy Garcia

Review : 

I remember thinking to myself that I won't watch Passengers simply because I don't like romance genre. I like space ship. It help a little but not much to increase my appetite to watch the movie. At the end, I watch it simply for family gathering. The story is not bad, but it was too empty for my liking. They should awake not only Gus Mancuso played by Laurence Fishburne, but also other characters to make the situations more euphoric. I feel like the director was torn between to make this romance or "save the world" type story. He may want to emulate Gravity success. But the problem is Gravity is not romance or "save the world" type story. It was an artistic type of story. And Passengers is none of that.  

Besides there's some thing that I don't quite understand in the story 

SPOILER ON 

When the gravity fall, we see that Aurora Lane played by Jennifer Lawrence was drowning and fall unconscious. But after the gravity was corrected, she awake again without any help. (I thought you need CPR ?!). 

SPOILER OFF

Anyway, I don't remember any catching or interesting song in the movie. Really make it unmemorable. Great movie should have memorable song to amplify the mood. Some people may like it but for me, romance and emptiness doesn't have place in the same sentence. Many people have problem with Jim awakened Aurora and equate it as immoral. But I don't have problem with that. The story doesn't try to paint Jim as moral and good character. Personally, I don't see the chemistry between Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence despite both of them give great performance. Unfortunately, I feel like Sony depend on Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt star powers too much and neglect other areas. I don't see they try to market this with good game or background story to make viewers relate more with the movie. Despite everything, I applause Sony for making empty and expensive beautiful space ship Avalon. 

Rating : 5 of 10


Regards, 
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment