Monday, December 19, 2016

Book Review : The Price of Innocence by Bryan Devore




Synopsis : 

In the decade since their younger sister's death, James and Ian Lawrence have drifted apart - James to pursue a steady but humdrum career as a CPA in Kansas City, Ian to go adventuring off to Leipzig, Germany, for his doctorate in economics. But when Ian mysteriously disappears while researching the economics of organized crime, James must take a leave of absence to look for him. Risking everything, he embarks on a perilous journey across Europe, digging deeply into the business affairs of some very private, very dangerous people. But in the search for Ian, he discovers a brewing revolution that will shock the world - and change what he sees as his own place in it. 

Review : 

I am happy that I can finish this book at last because I have delayed it for some time. As expected from Mr. Devore, his books were always delighted to be read. I really love it. I love the characters. I love the story. 

I love James, Ian, Thomas, Wolfgang, etc even the bad guys. Mr. Devore really make their characters alive. I feel sorry for Vlastos. He is a bad guy and doing many bad things. He deserved what's coming to him. But at last he managed to redeem himself at the expense of killing his "father". And the last shakespeare quote is quite sweet. It really shows his feeling. I love when the story have bad guy I sympathized, no matter how bad he is. Honestly, it takes skill and guts to create sympathetic bad guy that have lasting impression.
     
The story itself is a little unbelievable though. But as long as it was not "stupid", I can get pass that. The idea that you can destroy organized crime via economy is an interesting one. Unfortunately, it doesn't explore about that deeply. Realistically I don't think it was possible unless through economy sanction or heavy regulation. Still it was an enjoyable and engaging story. The ending is a little ambiguous. It open the path for sequel but I doubt that's gonna happen. Overall, it was great story. But, the action is a little too fast for my liking. I cannot help but skimming most of the actions. I love the epilogue though. Redemption story always leave good and lasting impression in my heart. I really recommend this story for people who want to read light but interesting and enjoyable action thriller.   

Rating : 4.5 of 5


Regards, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment